HD Heads-Up: June 7-13
You don’t have to subscribe to Sky to enjoy HD coverage of the FIFA World Cup, which screens from June 13 on TV One and has kicked off a promotional big-screen stoush between two TV giants.
The broadcaster will air 22 live games in HD, including:
- Opening ceremony at Arena de São Paulo, along with the first group stage match: Brazil vs Croatia
- Nine other group matches, including all of England’s games
- Four of 16 Round 2 matches
- All quarter finals
- Both semi finals, plus the 3rd/4th play-off
- World Cup Final, on July 14.
All games on TV One will also screen live, in SD, on tvnz.co.nz, and afterwards will be available to view in SD OnDemand.
TV One’s daily round-up show will air in HD on weekdays from 4.30 pm-5.30pm, and on the weekends from 5pm-6pm.
FIFA fever is behind Sony and LG proving they’ve got game by launching their biggest gift promotions yet.
Earlier this month Sony started to bundle a free PS4 with 10 displays 55 inches and bigger and yesterday LG scored its Xbox One initiative, offering a games console for buyers of models in its series 5-7 Smart TV range, series 8-9 UHD range, and its two OLED models.
Sony’s promotion ties in with it being an official partner of the FIFIA World Cup.
And while LG TVs have a “Soccer” picture mode optimised for soccer broadcasts, Sony’s “Live Football Mode” ups the ante by adjusting audio from the game to match real stadium sound as well as accessing the latest news and the official video from the 2014 FIFA World Cup and popular YouTube football footage.
Other programming news of note in HD for the week starting June 3 includes:
- The premiere of the Mrs Brown’s Boys special, Who’s a Pretty Mammy?(TV One, 9.00 Thursday)
- Season finales of Women In Blue(TV One, 7.30 Tuesday), Rap > House Husbands(TV One, 11.00 Wednesday) and CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (TV3, 8.40 Thursday)
- Dawn French, Kirsten Dunst, Bear Grylls and Eurovision Song Contest 2014 winner Conchita Wurst guesting on The GrahamNortonShow(TV3, 8.30 Friday)
- Coming attractions:Old Dogs (TV2, 7.00 Saturday), It’s Complicated(TV3, 8.30 Saturday), The Social Network(TV2, 8.45 Saturday), Limits Of Control (TV3, 11.00 Saturday), The Great Mint Swindle(TV One, 11.30 Saturday), The Italian Job(TV3, 8.30 Monday) and Faster(TV2, 9.05 Friday).